Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fresh Peach and Dulche de Leche Tart


Peaches are my all-time favorite fruit. Being so far north, we only get good peaches for a few weeks in the summer, so I wanted to grab as many as I could when I went to the store last. I knew I wanted to make a dessert, so I adapted an caramel apple tart recipe I had.

Peaches and Caramel are besties.



Here it is!

Fresh Peach and Dulche de Leche Tart

For the crust:
3/4 cup margarine
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/8 t salt

Melt butter, water, sugar and salt in the oven (Yes! In the oven. If you don't believe me, check out this awesome blog by David Lebowitz. His recipe is a titch different but the method is the same). I use my smallest circular casserole. Take butter mixture out after about 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Add flour, half at a time, and you will get a rich, yellow dough. Dough will be hot!


Dough will fit a 10 inch quiche pan perfectly. Plop it in there and spread with a spoon until evenly covered. Prick all over with fork and then stick it back in the 400 degree oven for 10 minutes (sometimes I am impatient and it doesn't really make it 10 minutes in there...it is very forgiving).

For Tart:
2 Large peaches (or 3 medium peaches)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoons nutmeg and allspice (OK! I never measure the cinnamon, nutmeg, and
3 tablespoons butter allspice. It's up to your tastes.)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Place 3 tablespoons butter into a small ramequin and soften. Mix with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until you have a lovely little paste. Spread this on the cooling tart crust (it'll melt, it's fine).


Cut your peaches into spices. My slices are always different.
I always slice my peaches around the pit, cutting first four equal sections...
and then dividing the sections. The slices always come out easily

Place peaches in bowl and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Stir gently to coat.

Lay your peaches on top of the butter mixture, starting at the outer edge and then moving in.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, or until peaches are looking bubbly and syrupy.


Melt your dulce de leche down a bit and drizzle all over tart.


This baby is not only beautiful, but so fresh and delicious. It looks so gourmet but is so easy to make, and will impress the snot out of your summer guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment