Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pumpkin Pudding Cookies

Today is my last day of freedom before I start my new job tomorrow. The Beau and I were going to walk to the beach, get ice cream at the Malt Shop, all of those fun summer things.
And then it decided to rain all day long.
Suddenly unseasonably cold, I spent the day making a pot of french onion soup. It was starting to feel (scarily) like fall, which tempted me into baking these incredibly easy peasy fall inspired cookies.
Now, JELLO only releases this pumpkin spice pudding at thanksgiving time, and I make sure to stock up on it for my friend Amanda's favorite Pumpkin Chiffon Pie. I ended up with 5 spare boxes, and used them in this little cookie recipe. The result is beautiful and delicious.

2 sticks (1 cup) soft butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (3.4 ounce) package JELL-O Pumpkin Spice instant pudding
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups flour
Powdered Sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F and cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine sugar, baking soda, and pudding mix in a bowl using a fork or whisk, and then plop the butter on top. Mix it all until nice and fluffy using a hand beater. You'll need to scrape the sides plenty. The pudding must make it extra sticky or something.
Crack in one egg at a time, beating well after each mix.
Incorporate flour, a half cup at a time, until everything is mixed.
Now, at this point, for some reason, I decided to spoon the dough into a pipping bag. The consistency is EXACTLY that of a good chocolate chip cookie without the chips, so this step is not an important one. Feel free to spoon the cookies onto the parchment covered pans, and you can shape them a little with your fingers. Keep them spaced far apart from each other, because they expand like nobody's business.
Bake for 10 minutes, rotating once halfway through (I'm tempted to say you might have to keep them in for a few minutes more, my oven is unreasonably hot and the cookies were done in only 10).
Cool on baking racks and dust with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment